Monday, December 28, 2009

The Family is All Together...Finally!

December 22, 2009

My Grandma's funeral was bittersweet.  Bitter in that she will no longer be part of my earthly life.  Sweet in that my entire family was together, and it's been awhile since that has happened.  I honestly think the last time we were together was at my Grandpa's funeral 14 years ago...I know, that's sad.  It's just the way it is.  Oh well...I just try to appreciate the time we have together.  I wanted a picture of all of us together, but schedules weren't so cooperative, so we had to take some separate photos.  Here's what resulted.


Most of us.


My brother and his family (minus 1 son).


Us kids.


Our little family with Papaw.

We had a good time together honoring Grandma and spending some much needed time together.  I love my family very much.  It seems complicated at times, but I have come to the understanding that my family is just that...MY family!  I just wish we could be together more often, but I'll take the memories that we share.  Love to all of you!

Oh, and one more thing I want to capture for my posterity.  I had the honor and privilege to participate in Grandma's funeral.  (And yes, I did it successfully without too many tears shed, which is absolutely amazing for those of you who know me.)  After JD and David read her eulogy I was asked to share about her love of poetry.  Grandma wrote poems throughout her life and even had one published in the Greensburg newspaper in 1995.  She wrote a special poem for she and Grandpa's 50th Wedding Anniversary in 1989 because she felt a great accomplishment in being married that long.  (It was given as a token to all who attended their anniversary party).  Here's the poem:

50th Anniversary

Today is our Golden Wedding Day
A milestone in our life,
From the day we started together
As a husband and a wife.

We've had a lot of happy years
And some were not so good,
But we trusted in our God above
Somehow we understood.

Five children came to bless our home
They've brought us years of love,
As we watched them grow and prosper
We thanked our God above.

Grandchildren came and they have made
Our lives to seem complete,
Their trust in us in marvelous
They're all so dear and sweet.

So this is truly a happy day
To him we give our praise,
and pray he will stay with us
The remainder of our days.

No comments: