Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fort Vallonia Days

If you can't tell...we love festivals!  Today we invited Jeremy's dad and our good friends the Pendleton's to go to Fort Vallonia Days with us. 

First, an Indiana History lesson -- Vallonia was settled by the French in the late 1700's. Around 1810, the Indians became belligerent toward the settlers. (Remember, Indiana bacame a state in 1816.)  At that time the Governor of Indiana ordered a fort built to protect the 90 families in the area.  In 1972 a small group in Vallonia set out to rebuild the fort.  It is now a festival that is held annually, with lots of fun things to do...as well as good food to eat.



Inside the fort there are three teepees on display.  They are even equipped with a wood stove in the middle, which was great for a chilly day like today.



There is also two bridges (crossing the creek that runs through town), a blacksmith, and a log cabin inside the fort.  Lindsey liked making circles across the two bridges.  Here is a great action shot.



We had a great time watching the parade, however, I couldn't get a good picture of the girls.  (Today just wasn't the day for that.)  Although, we did make great memories.  The Columbus Shrine Club was there with their little cars, which brought back great memories of my childhood.  I remember going to parades and seeing men in little cars driving in crazy formations at really fast speeds.  I always loved them...maybe that's why I drive like I do.  Ha! Ha!  I love sharing those fond memories with Lindsey and making new ones with her.



Today was a very chilly day, especially when the sun went behind the clouds.  Lindsey actually wrapped herself up and watched the parade laying down for a little bit.  That is until someone else threw candy.  That's right.  This was a good old fashioned parade.  We all had a great time.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Love it! Now I can post about it with all of the Indiana history information! We had such a great time. Thanks for the invite!

Sara said...

Cindy and Jeremy! I am so glad that you told me about your blog! I love it! I am glad to be able to get to know you better. Your daughter Lindsay is adorable! Do you mind if I add you to my blog list?

Sara

Cindy said...

Hi Sara. We don't mind at all.